Students in this program will gain an understanding of
- The science and technology of underlying diseases and their interventions;
- The role of biotechnology in developing new therapies;
- The regulatory framework that will impact the use of new interventions; and
- The private and public capital that will develop the growing biotechnology and biomedical markets.
The program is ideal for those who are passionate about biomedical sciences and would like a career in biotechnology beyond laboratory research.
- Students with a moderate biology background have the opportunity to extend their course work in biotechnology and biological sciences and continue in these fields.
- Professionals in management, investment, regulatory affairs or law in the biotechnology industry are able to extend their knowledge of the science behind this industry, enabling them to make better decisions regarding this rapidly developing technology.
- Students interested in doctoral programs or professional degree programs, such as medical school and law school, will build a strong foundation in biotechnology prior to applying to their top programs of study.
Translational Biotechnology is also available as a Progressive Degree Program. It is designed to enable USC students to begin taking master’s level courses while completing bachelor’s degree requirements.
A minimum of 28 units of graduate level course and field work is required for graduation. The program can be completed by full-time students in 1 year including the summer semester or at a reduced pace by part-time students.
Students in the Master of Science in Translational Biotechnology program will:
- Gain exposures to biotechnology and its specific applications.
- Become familiar with approaches used in the academic research, biotechnology, and medical sciences industries in the US and internationally.
- Gain an understanding of the science and technology underlying diseases and interventions, the role of biotechnology in developing new therapies, the regulatory framework that will impact the use of new interventions, entrepreneurial mindset and skills, and the private and public capital that will develop the growing biotechnology and biomedical markets.
- Establish expertise in designing, initiating, planning, managing, and troubleshooting practical projects.
- Acquire leadership skills and team work ethics.
- Achieve proficiency in literature comprehension, critical thinking, oral and written communication in both formal and informal settings.
- Upon completion of the program, students will be prepared for further studies in graduate and professional programs, or careers as research and development scientists, Field specialists, clinical trial project coordinators, consultants, marketing professionals, founders and executives of biotech firms, business development, technical specialists and patent agents.